Amethyst Crystal Meaning
Amethyst is probably one of the first crystals you were either given to start your collection, or one of the first crystals you purchased from a crystal shop.
This crystal has a certain knowing about it; it knows when to be stimulating and it knows when to produce calming vibes. Think of Amethyst as your favourite Godmother or Godfather - This crystal will help you to overcome negative situations and help to clear negative emotions from your aura and general presence. It will help you to feel comforted in emotionally charged environments and help pave the right path for you to follow in life.
If you’re after a crystal to help you to achieve the goals, you thought were impossible; this is definitely one to add to your collection.
Bacchus, the Roman God of Wine has promoted the belief that Amethyst can ward of drunkenness. His story is below.
Long ago, a beautiful maiden was on her way to worship at the Temple of Diana.
However, she had the misfortune of crossing paths with the god of wine, Bacchus. Angered since he’d just suffered some slight, he’d vowed to take revenge on the next person he met. He spied the maid and unleashed his two guardian tigers upon her.
As the great beasts bounded towards the hapless lass, the goddess Diana
intervened. To spare her such a terrible fate, she turned her into a pure, clear stone. Immediately, remorse seized Bacchus. To atone for his actions, he poured his wine over the stone, staining the crystal a deep, violet hue. And so, the maiden Amethyst lent her name to the crystal.
This story dates to the Renaissance times. The French poet Remy Bellay created this story in 1576 as part of a poem about crystal beliefs. Nevertheless, this story does go as far back as the times when Ancient Greeks existed.
- The crystal that just knows what to do - Amethyst knows when to be calming and when to be stimulating.
- Balances highs and lows
- Helps make realistic goals achievable.
- Brings common sense.
- Is known to have a sobering effect.
Amethyst Healing information:
Amethyst is known to dispel anger, rage, fear and anxiety.
Take a piece to bed with you if you find you are having recurring nightmares, it will help to protect you against bad dreams; much like a dream catcher.
If you know of a child having constant night terrors; give them a piece of Amethyst to help protect them - Amethyst works particularly well with children.
Amethyst in Health:
Known to help overcome any sort of negative addiction, boost the immune system and even increase hormone production. It is also said to help ease headaches, migraines and general aches / pains. Amethyst is known to aid with metabolism, reduce bruising and help with digestive issues.
Amethyst in Relationships:
Can help you to come to terms with any sort of emotion pain, it may be great to use if you are coming to terms with any sort of relationship or personal loss.
Amethyst for those with psychic abilities:
Said to be powerfully protective of its holder, it will help to guard against any spiritual or psychic attack. Amethyst is known to enhance its holder’s spiritual awareness, intuition and any psychic gifts. Use Amethyst when meditating to help shut out the world. Sleeping with a piece of Amethyst under your pillow will help facilitate out of body journeying and help to remember any intuitive dreams once waking.
Types of Amethyst:
Purple / Lilac, Chevron / Dream.
- Amethyst is a variety of the Quartz Crystal
- Its name comes from the Greek "Amethystos" which means "not drunken" as it was once used to help ward off drunkenness.
- The colour of Amethyst will depend on how much expose to light the crystal has received
- Amethyst can be heat treated to deepen its colour or to transform it into Citrine
- Varieties of Amethyst can also change into a green colour which is known as "Prasiolite" or "Green Amethyst"
- Amethyst is a very common crystal and can be found worldwide
- Enormous amounts of Amethyst are found in Brazil, Uruguay and Brazil
- Amethyst once sat at an equal value to Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald
- Christians often associated Amethyst with Christ because of the association this crystal has with being able to calm emotions. Some Christians also believed that the colour of Amethyst represented the purifying effect of suffering, in turn leading them to believe that this crystal could heal wounds
- According to various sources, St Valentine was said to wear an Amethyst ring carved with a figure linked to Cupid